Thursday, February 7, 2013

Patience in the Post Term

You are not alone. More than 1 in 4 pregnancies go past their expected due date in the United States. This is even higher for women who are having their first babe and for women who are having a boy.
Going over due can be discouraging and can weigh on our patience, both as a provider but more often as a mother.  It can seem like the babe's birthday is never going to come. But this period of waiting can be a great time for reflection, preparation, and intimacy.  Sometimes we are in such a rush to get everything done, we need to be reminded to stop and take it all in.
I went one week overdue with my son, my second.  I remember it weighing on my patience but I also remember it being a time of joy and rest with my husband and my little daughter, my first.
In Judaism, there is a Yiddish word B'shert, (Yiddish: באַשערט).  It literally means "destiny" and can even mean a destiny that is divine. A baby's timing is b'shert, meant to be, by their very own diving timing.
So take heart, have patience, have hope, and know that you can and will do this most magnificent thing, give birth.

No comments:

Post a Comment